Sunday, March 11, 2007

Many Aspects to Life and Being Human

I've had some thoughts swirling and buzzing about in my head this morning that I wanted to share here.

I'll be blunt: Woman don't HAVE to be able to have babies to be a Woman, and Men don't HAVE to be able to fertilize an egg to be a Man.

They are Women and Men regardless. It doesn't mean they are broken or they are faulty in any way at all.

For me, when I hear of a Woman who cannot conceive or who cannot go through pregnancy, the thought that something is "wrong" never crosses my mind. Different people can do different things. Yes, the majority of Woman can conceive and carry on through pregnancy, but that doesn't mean that ALL Woman can...just as not ALL Men can fertilize an egg.

I know it's a deep and meaningful subject for many, but I wanted to send a message out to those Women and Men who are having a hard time with the ability to conceive and have their own biological children...you are not faulty and you are not broken. Please don't let your inner dialogue tell you otherwise.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Thank you for posting this, I know a lot of women, myself on occasion, that feel less than whole when pregnancy problems arise. BUT, you are right! It doesn't make us less of a woman and that should be made clear.

My Great Aunt Anne had double mastectomy, so she had no breast. If anyone ever tried to tell me she was less of a woman because of it, well they might have gotten socked in the mouth! She was ALL woman and she is proof that the societal ideal doesn't hold true.

Being a woman is more than just being a mom. It's tough being either one. HUGS and much love to you.