Friday, March 16, 2007

First Hand Accounts of the Physical Effects of HG - Testimonials from the HER Foundation

Testimonials from the HER Foundation

The Voices of HG from Around the World
All around the globe, HG women are speaking out.

*I saw that my Sister had posted this as a comment, but I think it deserves it's own post. I will also be adding this as a link to the sidebar of this blog.

Physical Effects of HG


"Even the most severe stomach flu could not compare to the horror I was experiencing."

"I weighed 96 lbs at one point and looked like walking death. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy."

"I made it only to the 7th week, then I ended it. I was violently ill. like nothing I had ever experienced before, I had very low blood pressure, 59/39 at one point, a uterine hemorrhage, and a kidney infection, and vomiting 15-20 times a day. I was on 6 different anti-nausea drugs, and they did nothing. I still can't believe how sick I was."

"My muscles have broken down from being unable to walk without vomiting, I fractured a rib, tore my esophagus, damaged my eyes and need ten root canals."

"I was in pain from the dehydration and bawling and pleading for some relief. I went 4 weeks without eating one bite of food."

"[At] 22 weeks. [my] PICC line was removed and I was eating broth and crackers for every meal. then I got preeclampsia and was put back on bed rest. Because of my deconditioned state I never really felt like myself again... I fell and broke an ankle.. and developed a blood clot in my leg. they feel I may have actually gotten when I [had] HG." Amber D., Waukesha, WI

"I was hospitalised [from] 5 ½ weeks [until] 17 weeks with admissions till delivery, the emotional [and] physical toll were horrific. [I was] vomiting 70+ times a day, nose bleeds, torn esophagus, burst blood vessels in my eye. I gave up work, couldn't walk, couldn't eat, and lost aprox 30 pounds. I looked like a skeleton and felt. like I was dead. I tried to slit my wrists at 17 weeks but something stopped me. There is no abortion in Ireland otherwise I would have. I was so depressed after having him I couldn't work till he was 7 months old. My son has special needs." Jacqueline M., Ireland

"Some family members and friends. said that I had an eating disorder because I could not control the sickness." Kristie R.

"I now have arthritis and some "minor" bone density loss. I have lost most of my hair during pregnancies due to malnutrition. This is with nutritional IV treatments." C. H., Colorado Springs, CO

Beyond the Physical

"I would sleep on the floor of the bathroom most nights. My husband didn't understand what was happening at all and got very irritated with me. I would just cry all by myself and other times I was too sick to even react to anything at all. I have never felt so alone in my entire life." M

"There just wasn't any point in trying anymore. No one could comprehend the sheer hell I was going through. I felt so guilty because I actually wanted a miscarriage even though this child was planned and wanted. This condition is very expensive and my insurance company actually called me at my home on several occasions to ask me when I would be getting better, as if I knew!"

"A close family member asked me if I was actually bulimic and was not eating on purpose. Another accused me of just doing it for attention." Marcie H. Denver, Colorado

"Every week the home health agency would call and ask how I was feeling and if I was ready to come off the PICC line all because the insurance company was pressuring them." Angie N., West Orange NJ

The experience is so raw and scary and yes the outcome is glorious but the journey almost killed me." CR - Mill Valley, CA


Medically Misunderstood

"My doctors accused me of having an eating disorder."

"[The doctor] told me it was a mental problem and. made me see a psychiatrist. He told me. that somewhere deep inside I didn't really want to have a baby!"

"I almost died due to inadequate care."

"My best friend (24 years old) died from what I believe was HG. She died over a year ago and her condition went 7 months undiagnosed before she died. Serpil

"I can not get any treatment for this, because my doctors are saying that this is mental."

"My plea to the world of non-HGers: quit suggesting crackers! That may help for regular morning sickness, but is like suggesting a band aid to someone with a broken arm." EG , Seattle, WA

"I had seen a dozen of doctors at least. They just told me it [happens] sometimes. and it could be psychological. The illness is nearly unbearable, but the negation of that illness is simply destructive." Virginie M., France

"Even after the child's catheter was rejected by my collapsing veins, we came to the realization that I was going to have surgery [to] have a catheter placed in my chest." Danielle O., Knoxville, TN

"I feel I took the 'easy' way out and ended up terminating my pregnancies, I am ashamed to admit. The emotional scars. are horrific, my life will never be the same. I can't afford Zofran. Surely it costs more to have a patient in the hospital than to reduce the cost of medication." LJ, Australia

"I was bounced from doctor to doctor who made me feel like I was actually making myself sick. They gave me oral medication (which of course never stayed down) and I had 13 [hospitalizations]. I felt like I was a nuisance to them and that they quite frankly didn't know what to do with me." Danielle O., Knoxville, TN

"I ended up losing my job and my life for nine months. was told it was in my head. little treatment was offered... at 6 weeks pregnant. all i wanted was the pain and sickness to stop and was told I would have to. terminate. I have grieved every day for that loss. with awareness. and proper [information] maybe people. [with HG] can be taken seriously and given proper care. doctors can do operations that you'd never think. possible, yet they cant stop [HG]. its heartbreaking, and soul destroying." K.N., Lancashire, England

"HG started around 4 wks but was not diagnosed until maybe around the 10th week. Here I am pregnant and taking Zofran a cancer drug for nausea and on TPN, another treatment for cancer. And the real kicker is they put me on the cancer floor in the hospital because the maternity ward was full...." Amber D., Waukesha, WI

"I also developed ptyalism and one doctor was so disgusted that I would not swallow my saliva he told me I had to and sat to watch, then left when the violent vomiting returned." Aimee-Ohio

"One girl. was admitted to the inpatient psychiatric unit during her 6th month because of HG. [HG] can be managed and treated if recognized.

"Each week my doctor had to communicate with the Insurance Company explaining why I still needed the feeding tube etc.for the first four months. Susie J., Littleton, Colorado

No comments: